This blog has been quiet for the past week because I’ve been away, and not only have I not posted but I have largely avoided following what has been going on. Nevertheless I was not holed up in a cave, and Ann Widdecombe‘s rant in the EU parliament got itself noticed. It was instantly filed in the back of my mind as something to enjoy upon my return.
This blog has periodically featured ballsy women from all parts of the world, principally because I like speakers who are bold enough to take on all comers. Ann Widdecombe surely has a claim to the title of doyenne.
Two minutes and eight seconds of rant seems suitably brief in current temperatures, and most people could blast away inconsequentially for that duration. But to insert seven meaty details into it takes skill.
- She noted that she represented the biggest party there,
- She scorned the absurdity of the “election” of EU officials
- She pointed out that this parody of democracy betrayed all countries represented
- She spoke of the historic pattern of oppressed people rising up against oppressors
- She slipped in a dig at the leaked video of EU pound-store bigwigs congratulating themselves on maintaining the UK as a “colony”
- She attacked a new ruling concerning fishing net meshes
- She declared the UK’s departure in three languages.
I’ve seen twenty-minute speeches that said less. The EU probably can’t wait to be rid her, and that’s the whole point.